Having black treacle left in our cupboard from Christmas sparked an idea; behold black treacle roasted beetroot. Perfect in a salad with mixed leaves and orange. Finish with a little feta cheese and extra virgin olive oil and then you are away. Simple and easy to make, leaving you full and satisfied.
- 200g beetroot
- 1 navel orange (peeled and segmented)
- 1 tsp black treacle
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 100g feta cheese (optional)
- 200g mixed leaves
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°
- Cut the beetroot into wedges, roughly the size of the orange segments.
- Mix half the oil with the black treacle and mix thoroughly with the beetroot using your hands. Roast for 15 minutes and then add the orange segments for the last 5, or you can add the orange segments to the salad fresh/unroasted, for a sweeter taste.
- Once the beetroot is done, mix together with the mixed leaves, olive oil and seasoning. Finish by crumbling the feta on top.