Here we have the ultimate spring stir fry with a healthier bulgur wheat twist! This beautiful grain acts as a noodle and rice substitute, and holds its own to bring this tasty dish together. Packed with wonderful spring veggies and all the usual flavour suspects that go with a good stir fry! Remember that this is a stir fry so you can add or take away any veg you want.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 100g bulgur wheat
- 1 small clove of garlic (fine grated)
- 1 small thumb size piece of ginger (fine grated)
- 1 small onion (fine sliced)
- 1 small bell pepper (fine sliced)
- 100G mushrooms (sliced)
- 6 purple sprouting broccoli
- 6-8 baby asparagus
- A small handful of bean sprouts
- ½ red chilli (finely sliced)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 spring onions (sliced)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bulgur wheat following package instructions, strain any excess liquid and fluff up with a fork, leaving aside for later.
- Cut the hard ends off of both the asparagus and purple sprouting broccoli ready to add in with the other veg.
- Heat the wok or pan with about 2 tablespoons of oil until it’s smoking hot.
- Add in the broccoli and onion and keep moving for 1 minute and then add in the mushrooms, baby asparagus, bean sprouts, garlic, ginger and peppers, cooking for a further minute.
- Add in the chilli, soy sauce honey and bulgur wheat, cooking for a further minute or so until everything is coated and cooked through and season to taste.
- Serve with a drizzle of sesame oil and freshly cut spring onion.
- Tuck in!