Spring is here, pie week is commencing and we have the ultimate chicken pie for you; chicken, mushroom and spring onion with a little rice wine vinegar twist. This is fusion cooking done right! This pie is simple to make and packed with flavour and perfect for enjoying either on its own or with some creamy mash.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (chunky diced)
- 200g mushrooms (chunky diced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4-5 spring onions
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml chicken stock
- 2 heaped tbsp. Creme fraiche
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Salt and pepper to taste
- With about a tablespoon of oil, fry the onions and chicken on a medium to high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the chicken has got a little colour.
- Stir in the flour and mix well until is has coated everything.
- Stir in the spring onions and then after a few minutes, add the chicken stock and rice wine vinegar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the creme fraiche and then leave to cool for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200℃/400℉.
- Add the filling to the pie dishes and then cover with the pastry, crimp and egg wash.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.