This special jam has cumin, coriander and smoked paprika which reminded me of a sweet and sticky version of Chilli con carne. As we all know, Chilli con carne is great with cheese and this jam is the ultimate cheese board edition to wow your guests!
Ingredients Makes 2 500ml/17oz jars
- 4 large paprika peppers
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 8 large on the vine tomatoes
- 8-10 red chilli’s
- 600g caster sugar
- 200ml cider vinegar
- 6 tsp’s of ground cumin
- 2 heaped tsp’s smoked parpika
- 2 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 2 500ml/17oz sterilized jars
- First of all, you need to peel your tomatoes. To do this, boil some water in a pan (enough to cover the tomatoes) and fill a large bowl up with cold water to leave on the side. Mark a cross on the bottom of each tomato, scoring through the skin and then boil for a couple of minutes until you notice they are starting to peel back. Strain and then blanch them in the cold water. When they are cool enough to hold, the skin will easily peel off.
- Now, using a food processor add the tomatoes, garlic, chillis and peppers, then blitz until finely chopped.
- In a large, deep pan, add 4 tbsp of oil on a gentle simmer and then add the ground coriander, smoked paprika and ground cumin. Gently simmer for around 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Now chuck in the mix from the food processor plus the sugar and vinegar, bring to a boil.
- Turn down and simmer for at least an hour until it becomes thick and sticky. It may need up to 1 and a half hours. You can always turn it up, stirring to make sure that it doesn’t burn to reduce it down speeding up the process at the end.
- Let is cool slightly and then add it to your jars. Tighten the lids and once cool enough, store in the fridge for up to a month.