My girlfriend Bryony is vegetarian, so we’re always looking for dishes to enjoy together and this one was perfect for staying in on a Saturday night, and sharing with friends. The dish, aka the posh pasta bake, turned out to be a winner and we wanted to share it with you guys!
Although this pasta bake is a little naughty, it’s certainly fantastic and great for a dinner party or if you fancy treating yourself. The tangy white wine marries perfectly with the flavoursome gorgonzola, which lifts the dish to a whole new level of class, with its creamy texture and rich flavour.
Always remember that life is about balance, so if you’re staying in this weekend, why not treat yourself to a delicious meal, and enjoy the rest of the white wine needed for the recipe, alongside this indulgent pasta bake!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 350g penne pasta
- 200g mixed mushrooms
- 1 onion (fine diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 50g plain flour
- 50g butter
- 200ml white wine
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 300ml milk
- 150g gorgonzola
- 1 125g ball of mozzarella
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180℃/350℉.
- Melt the butter in a pan and soften the onion on a medium heat or 3-4 minutes and then add the mushrooms.
- Turn the heat up to colour the onions and release the moisture from the mushrooms (add a pinch of salt to help speed up the process), after 2 minutes add the thyme and garlic.
- Once the mushrooms have released the water and colored slightly, add flour until it has coated all of the ingredients in the pan.
- Turn up the heat and then stir in the wine, followed by the stock and milk, bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer, stirring in two thirds of the gorgonzola.
- Boil the pasta to half the recommended guidelines on the packaging, strain and then stir into the sauce.
- Add to an ovenproof baking dish and cover with thin slices of mozzarella and the rest of the gorgonzola.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and cooked through.