Fennel is one of our all time favourite summer ingredients. It’s versatile, flavoursome and smells divine as you chop it! You can use it in salads and stews, on pizzas and bread, and if you’re looking for something new, try it in our super tasty salsa verde with a twist.
This salsa verde (or green sauce to you and I) combines fennel, asparagus and a whole host of other green veggies to create a flavoursome sauce to add a bit of depth to salmon (or even chicken) dishes.
Simply enjoy this salsa verde as we did, with salmon, as a light lunch or bulk it up with some roast or boiled potatoes, or even rice. Either way this meal tastes of the summer, and is worth making again and again.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 salmon fillets to your liking
For the salsa verde:
- 1 small bulb of fennel
- 5-6 asparagus tips
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 big handful of curly leaf parsley
- 1 small handful of fresh dill
- 4 gherkins
- 1 heaped tsp of dijon mustard
- 50ml cider vinegar
- 100ml olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice the fennel and halve the asparagus lengthwise and gently sweat with about a tbsp of oil until soft. Leave to cool.
- Add all of the ingredients including the asparagus and fennel to a blender and blitz into a coarse paste.
- Serve with either chicken or salmon.