Autumn is just around the corner, and as the season changes, so does the kind of food I feel inspired to create. These fennel spiced lamb meatballs are comfort food at it’s finest! They are hearty, full of flavour and easy to make any day of the week.
Fennel can often divide taste buds, as the flavour can be quite over powering but these fennel spiced lamb meatballs use just two teaspoons of fennel seeds for subtle taste.
I wanted to use quinoa instead of rice because of its super food status. Although it’s a fairly new ingredient to enter supermarkets, it’s fast becoming a popular ingredient, and we can understand why. Quinoa contains all eight of the essential amino acids and is gluten free, which makes it easy to digest. Its slightly nutty flavour combines well with a host of other flavours too, making it a really versatile.
To balance the richness of the lamb, I stirred lemon and mint into the quinoa. This lifts the flavour of the grain and smells amazing.
The meatballs are really easy and quick to make. Once you have combined all the ingredients, you can roll them to size you want. However, we recommend rolling into equal sized balls, roughly two thirds the size of a golf ball. Any bigger than that will take longer to cook, and looks less appealing, however any smaller, and you might not be satisfied!
If you have a bit of a sweet tooth like me, I’d suggest finishing the meal with our lemon and pistachio ice cream. It’s a light and creamy palette cleanser!
Find our fennel spiced meatballs recipe below and tuck in!
FENNEL SPICED LAMB MEATBALLS
For the meatballs
- 500 g lamb mince 20% fat
- 2 tsp fennel seeds heaped tsp
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp paprika heaped tsp
- 1 tbsp mint finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- plain yoghurt to serve
For the sauce
- 1 onion diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 red chilli finely diced
- 400 ml chopped tinned tomatoes
For the quinoa
- 150 g white quinoa
- 300 ml tap water double the amount to the quinoa
- 50 g butter
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 red pepper diced small
- 1 onion diced small
- 1` tbsp fresh mint chopped
- Toast the seeds and then add to a pestle and mortar, grinding it into a powder with the paprika.
- Mix the powder with the garlic, ginger and mint and then mix thoroughly with the mince lamb and breadcrumbs.
- Roll into equal sized balls, roughly 2 thirds the size of a golf ball and set aside for later in the fridge.
- Sweat the onions and peppers off in the butter in a saucepan for the quinoa and then add the lemon juice and zest. Add the quinoa and coat well in everything, cover with the water and bring to the boil and then simmer with a lid on for around 20-25 minutes. Fluff up and stir through the mint seasoning to taste.
- For the lamb, soften the onions in a pan and then turn up the heat to colour the meatballs along with the garlic.
- Once the meatballs a slightly coloured, add the tomatoes and chilli, bring to the boil and then simmer on a low heat for around 15 minutes until the meatballs are cooked.
We would absolutely love to see your versions of this dish, so let us know if you make these fennel spiced meatballs by getting in touch on our Instagram page!