If you are a mushroom fan then look no further, this is the ultimate mushroom sauce to go with your pasta. With its rich, creamy texture, coating the pasta making every bite full of flavour. Enjoy with lashings of Parmesan cheese/vegetarian alternative.
Ingredients Serves 2
- 25g flour
- 25g butter
- 500g mushrooms
- Small bunch of thyme plus extra for garnish
- 50g Italian hard cheese plus extra for garnish (parmesan non vegetarian alternative)
- 450ml vegetable stock
- 1 small clove garlic
- 300g pasta of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the mushrooms up, crush the garlic and gently saute in a pan for 4-5 minutes on a medium to low heat with the sprigs of thyme.
- Remove the thyme and then add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Whilst the mushroom/vegetable stock is simmering away, melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the flour to make a roux. Gently cook whilst stirring for another 2 minutes and then take off the heat.
- When the mushroom stock is ready, pass through into a jug and then add the mushrooms back to the pan.
- Gently stir in the stock into the roux and then turn back onto the heat. Bring to the boil and simmer for another 10-15 minutes on a low heat, stirring often.
- You can now add heat back to the mushrooms in the pan to give them a light crispy texture.
- Whilst the sauce is simmering away. Cook your pasta to the package guidelines.
- Stir the cheese into the sauce, season to taste and then mix in with the mushrooms. When the pasta is ready, mix altogether and serve with a little extra cheese and thyme leaves.