Purple sprouting broccoli is at its best now and before its season comes to an end, you better make this tasty dish! The mushrooms and broccoli bind together with a rich and cheesy Bechamel sauce, and a black garlic twist, while the parmesan cheese finishes this dish off perfectly. It’s a great dish to make to truly enjoy this wonderful, colourful veg.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 300g broccoli
- 250g mushrooms
- 1 clove black garlic
- 1 onion
- 300g tagliatelle
- 2 tbsp pasta water
For the sauce:
- 30g plain flour
- 30g butter
- 400ml milk
- 40g parmesan cheese (or vegetarian alternative)
- Bring water to the boil in a saucepan and add the broccoli, and part boil for 3-4 minutes. You can also steam instead if you want.
- To make the Bechamel sauce, melt the butter into a pan and then add the flour. Mix together well and cook for a few minutes on a low heat. Turn the heat up and slowly add the milk, stirring constantly until you have a smooth consistency. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes stirring every minute.
- Cook the tagliatelle to package guidelines.
- Add the onion to a deep pan on a low heat with a little oil and cook until soft. Add the broccoli and mushrooms, turn the heat up to give it all a little colour, stir frying it for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the black garlic and stir until is has come apart and incorporated.
- Add the pasta with the two tablespoons of water and stir in the sauce with the parmesan cheese, making sure everything is well coated and mixed.
- Serve with a little extra parmesan cheese.