Tickle those taste buds with this fun and easy to make, classic dessert. This frangipane is layered with pre-roasted cherries and apricots for an extra fruity, caramalised flavour. Enjoy with a splash of cream or a ladle (or two!) of warm custard.
- 500g ready rolled sweet shortcrust pastry
Alternatively for homemade pastry:
- 1 egg yolk
- 225g plain flour
- 125g butter (cold and cubed)
- 125g sugar
- 2 tbsp. Cold water
For the filling:
- 10 to 15 cheries (cut in half and remove seeds)
- 4 medium ripe apricots (cut into quarters and remove seeds)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 125g almond flour
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g sugar
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
For the pastry:
- To make the pasty, add the flour to a large bowl or chopping board and make a well in the center. Add the egg yolk and water in the center and cold butter and then using your hands, mix well in between your fingers and then form a dough wrap in clingfilm and chill for about an hour.
- Remove from the fridge and dust the surface and rolling pin with flour and then roll out, turning until it is roughly half a centimeter thick and big enough to hang over your tart casing.
For the tart:
- Preheat your oven to its highest temperature and then roast the apricot quarters for 4 minutes and then stick in the cherry halves for an extra 4. Remove and turn the oven to gas mark 5/
- Grease the tart case well and then add the pastry carefully by rolling it around the rolling pin and then gently hanging it over the tart case, pushing it into the shape of the case. You can patch any holes with excess pastry but make sure you leave some pastry to overhang as it may shrink.
- Cover the pastry with baking parchment and then add baking beans, dry pasta or and grain to weigh it down and bake for 15 minutes, remove the baking weight and baking parchment and bake for a further 5.
- Whilst the pastry is blind baking, cream the butter with the sugar and then add in the eggs, lemon zest and salt, mix and then finally the almond flour mixing in well.
- Once the pastry it out, add a layer of fruit and then tip in the filling mix, followed by the rest of the fruit.
- Bake for 45 minutes.