It may take a little time to conjure up but believe me, this super grain porridge is worth it. Once it’s made you have it at the ready the next morning to enjoy a super healthy, tasty breakfast to kick start your day. It can also be served cold, or heated back up for the next few days. Enjoy with raisins or fresh strawberries and a cheeky bit of desiccated coconut.
Ingredients (3-4 servings)
- 50g porridge oats
- 50g buckwheat
- 50g bulgur wheat
- 400ml of your milk of choice (dairy, oat, almond, soy, etc)
- 400ml water
- 2 heaped tsp cocoa powder
- 2 heaped tsp instant coffee (or 1 shot of espresso)
- 2 tbsp of your sweetener of choice (honey, maple syrup, etc)
- Add both liquids to the boil and then add the grains and turn to a simmer.
- Stir every now and again and cook for around 30 minutes until all of the grains are cooked and turn into a porridge consistency. The buckwheat may have a little bite to it, similar to a nut butter that adds to the texture; alternatively you can give it a little whiz with a hand blender for a smoother consistency.
- Top up with water if it becomes to thick and then stir in the coffee, cocoa powder and sweetener.
- Serve straight away or chill down and enjoy over the next few mornings.