It’s time to get our veggie on with these sweet potato and feta enchiladas. I have always enjoyed enchiladas and wanted to create one that my girlfriend and I could enjoy together. As you may know, Bryony is vegetarian, so I have had a lot of fun creating new ideas to that we can both enjoy.
Sweet potatoes are full of flavour and much healthier than it’s counterpart, the potato. I also find that they have a much creamier texture and mash easily when baked whole. Simply just chuck them in the oven until cooked through, leave to cool slightly, remove the skin and mash with a fork. When mixed with feta cheese, you have a fantastic combination of sweet and tangy – a winning pairing in our eyes!
To bulk it out and give it even more flavour and texture, I added some other ingredients that make these sweet potato and feta enchiladas a super food dish. We have red lentils, spinach and kidney beans for protein, iron and magnesium power. The lentils are the same rich colour as the sweet potato and mix together to create a lovely consistency. The dish is finished off with roasted cherry tomatoes for added freshness, instead of a rich sauce.
Of course we have to balance the nutrition with a little naughtiness hence the wraps and cheese but whats life without a little balance? We enjoyed them with some rocket on the side and a few tortilla chips. Believe me when I say that one wrap per person is enough, as it is super filling.
Find our sweet potato and feta enchiladas recipe below!
For more sweet potato recipes, check out this link.
SWEET POTATO AND FETA ENCHILADAS
- 4 tortilla wraps
- 400 g sweet potatoes left whole with skin on
- 150 g feta cheese
- 100 g red lentils
- 300 ml water
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- spinach leaves roughly 2 large handfuls
- 400 g tin of kidney beans
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp oregano
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved
- plain yoghurt or sour cream to serve
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°F.
- Add the sweet potatoes into the oven on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes or until soft. Remove and leave to cool slightly, peel and set to one side for later (keep the oven on).
- Sweat the onion and garlic off in a pan and then add the paprika, coriander, cumin seeds and oregano and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add in the lentils, stir together well and then add in the water and bring to a boil simmering for 15 minutes until cooked.
- Mash the sweet potatoes and mix together with the cooked lentils, adding the spinach, feta and kidney beans. Heat through and season to taste.
- Split the mixture into 4 and fill each wrap and then roll them over the filling, tucking in the sides slightly half way through. Add to a greased baking dish and then place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, adding the tomatoes half way through.
- Remove from the oven and serves with yogurt or sour cream, and some salad and tortilla chips.