Experimenting this weekend has been fun and there has been a few good results. One being the tortilla Calzone; a quick and tasty pizza alternative with as many fillings as you can possibly conjure up! For our filling, we came up with a fresh and tasty mixture using courgettes and tomatoes. It is the perfect snack that could be made even healthier using wholemeal tortillas!
Ingredients makes 2
- 4 large tortillas
- 1 egg
- 1/2 medium courgette (diced)
- 2 medium tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 ball fresh mozzarella ball (small diced)
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil (rolled together and sliced)
- A generous grating of Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°F
- Mix together the tomato and courgette, season well with salt and leave for 10 minutes in a colander to drain some of the excess moisture.
- Meanwhile, mix together the oil, garlic and both cheeses. Using a spoon, squeeze as much water out of the tomato and courgette and then add to the mix. Season with black pepper.
- Whisk the egg together and egg wash the whole of one side of the tortilla and then stick the other on top of it. Cut an inch in length through either side of the tortilla centre aligned. Add half your mixture and egg wash around the whole inside edge of the tortilla as thick as the inch cut either side. Fold and press down hard until it has completely stuck all around, pinching the centre aligned cuts. Repeat for the next Calzone.
- Poke a few holes on top using a knife and bake on grease proof paper for around 12 minutes, until golden and crispy.