If you love mushrooms then this is a side dish for any occasion. They go great with barbeques, salads, roasted veggies or even as a starter. There’s so much flavour packed in this dish, so make sure you cook enough for seconds!
ingredients makes 4
- 4 large flat mushrooms
- 100ml milk
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 50g mature cheddar cheese
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp. Flour
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350°F.
- Cut the stem out of each mushroom to achieve a bowl for the sauce to sit on when baking.
- Melt the butter in a small pan on a low heat. Once it has melted, stir in the flour until smooth to make a roux. Cook through for a few minutes continuously stirring.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring until it’s completely mixed in.
- Stir in the Worcester sauce and mustard, followed by the cheese until a thick consistency.
- Tip onto the mushrooms and bake for around 15-20 minutes. Grill a little more If you want a more golden crisp top.