There’s something quite satisfying about having dough balls as an alternative to garlic bread. For me, it’s the way you get to dip it in that lovely garlic butter yourself, lapping up as little or as much as you like. Like walkers salt and shake crisps, we get the pleasure of adding the salt ourselves then shaking it up. It takes the enjoyment of eating to another level. We don’t always want everything done for us!
What makes these dough balls really special is the gooey goats cheese centre. Dip this in the garlic butter and balsamic glaze dip and it’s the perfect match.
Ingredients – 32 dough balls
- 500g strong wholewheat flour
- 300g warm water
- 20g unsalted butter (melted)
- 7g dry active yeast
- A generous pinch of sea salt
- Half tsp granulated Demerara sugar
- 2 mini goats cheese wheels
- 60g of butter
- A few sprigs of finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp balsamic glaze
- 1 crushed cloves garlic
- Add the flour into a mixing bowl along with the yeast, salt and sugar and stir together well.
- Make a well in the centre of the mix and add the warm water and and butter, mix together using a fork or spoon until it starts to form a dough.
- Lightly flour the kitchen surface, then take the dough out of the bowl and knead for around 10 minutes until it starts to become elastic and stretchy.
- Lightly oil a new bowl, add the dough and cover. Leave it for about 45 minutes to an hour in a cool place until it has doubled in size.
- Whilst you are waiting, you can take the butter out the fridge for the dip to soften and cube up your goats cheese, making sure you have enough for each dough ball.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350°F and line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper
- Once your dough has doubled in size, lightly flour the surface again, place your dough on top and cut into quarters. Then roll up each quarter and cut into 8 even pieces.
- For each dough ball, flatten the dough out, add a piece of goats cheese in the centre and then roll around it, ensuring there are no holes for the cheese to escape when cooking. Add each ball to the trays with grease proof paper.
- Stick the trays in the oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Whilst you wait for them to cook, crush you garlic clove into the butter. Add the finely chopped parsley and balsamic glaze and stir well.